GENERAL INTRODUCTION OF CIDS – 4DEdu
- The government has formulated a transformation of education policy & philosophy for the country to fulfill the current 21st century learning needs but……
Do we design our instructions following the needs and aspirations?
- Teachers are enriched with pedagogical knowledge & skills in their pre-service & in-service courses but…..
Do we apply & integrate into our instructional planning?
Framework & Concept
CIDS – “Collaborative Instructional Design System” – transforming teachers…..inspiring learners…
An initiative towards transforming teachers in designing instruction for delivering effective and efficient learning experiences that inspires learners of all ages.
- CIDS is a system that provides teachers the option to plan & manage the learning and teaching process (including other planning such as co-curricular activities, Evaluation of Teachers Competency (ETC), Lesson Study – as part of Professional Learning Community activity & virtual learning) professionally and systematically through its integral ASIE Instructional Design features.
- The process of planning and managing learning and teaching are implemented following the theories and principles of instructional design (instructional design theories & principles) – a branch of discipline in the field of education technology that has long existed.
- Thus, the Integral ASIE Instructional Design Model was created to meet the needs of 21st Century Education to transform the field of instructional design in line with the needs of education today. Besides, it becomes an added value to the knowledge and skills of teachers in the field of instructional design for classroom best practices.
- The elements in Four-Dimensional Education (Center for Curriculum Redesign-CCR, 2015, 2019, US) have been the main reference for adaptation of the 21st century education in the Integral ASIE Instructional Design.
- The uniqueness of the innovation of this model is that it has a dual function-(i) as a classroom-based 21-st century instructional design model (ii) as well as a classroom-based 21-st century online instructional design model that simplifies and allows teachers to design the instruction (teacher lessons) directly on the model by following the flow of planning procedures found on its components, aspects, and items.
The planning can be shared, monitored, guided, and evaluated individually or in bulk by various parties at various levels.
The 4-Dimensional Education (4DEdu) framework has been selected as the 21st Century Learning Framework in the Collaborative Instructional Design System (CIDS). The 4DEdu-CIDS guides user in the instructional planning: redesigning, reconstructing, and reengineering academic directions, visualizing the current Education landscape towards preparing learners’ future career path that is relevant to the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
Global Education Thought Leader, Author, Futurist, Inventor,
Founder & Chairman, Center for Curriculum Redesign, USA
Project Director at Harvard Graduate School of Education, USA
The Four-Dimensional Learning encompasses the following dimensions and competency.
Each competency is breaking up into sub competency which describes learners’ outcomes. It is adapted in CIDS as an important items in the instructional planning.
- Themes – Essential Content: Disciplines, Branches, Subjects, Topics Core Concepts (including processes)
- Critical Thinking
- Growth Mindset
(Source: Center for Curriculum Redesign, 2015,2019)
An Integral ASIE Instructional Design Model
- It composes of 4 components with several dimensions.
- Dimensions in the 1st and 2nd components (ANALYZE & STRATEGIZE) serve as a procedural flow of the instructional planning.
- While the 3rd component (IMPLEMENT) involves the creation of the teacher’s lesson plan, the 4th component (EVALUATE) serves for evaluation purposes.
The Structure of The Integral ASIE Instructional Design Model
The Composition of The Integral ASIE Instructional Design Model
Take note that the content of Aspect & Item of the model are adapted from the Four-Dimensional Education
Relationship Between CIDS-4DEdu
The main aim of the development of the Collaborative Instructional Design System (CIDS) is to provide a platform for teachers to perform their instructional planning and implement appropriate teaching and learning strategies in a virtual environment.
A research process on the usability has been conducted and improvements have been made occasionally to enhance its effectiveness. Verification from local and foreign educational figures as well as from the Center for Curriculum Redesign, US has been made.
Features of CIDS:
- The platform helps teachers to unpack the curriculum standard to meet the needs of Education 4.0 as well as the needs of current and future education in the era of Industrial Revolution 4.0 (IR4.0).
- It can be adapted & integrated with external sources (YouTube etc., Google Classroom application package, etc.) in the teacher lesson planning process.
- Its features can be customized according to the creativity of teachers in a differentiated classrooms environment to achieve learners’ outcomes in their respective schools.
- Provide an instructional planning framework for STEM, STEAM, STREAM, Flipped Learning & Differentiated Learning strategies.
- Provide a customized structural framework for co-curricular activities, lesson study activities, assessing teachers’ competency, and conducting virtual & flipped learning activities for students.
ID AND ITS FUNCTIONS
Types Of ID
CIDS offers free IDs to 4 types of users
- asieguest (for trial only) with limited features. You may not be able to design your lesson for individual needs. All features (class category, class level, subject, teaching period & time table) have been preset regardless of the country origin. Please do not change the setting to avoid errors.
- cidsuser (standard package – stand-alone) individual user.
- cidsuser (institutional package) IDs given to the entire institution.
- cidsuser (premium package) more advance features with student enrolment for full virtual learning features
Each user is given an ID for a specific role/multiple roles. Make sure you get the correct ID type. Each person needs to have 1 (one) ID ONLY.
- ID names vary by State/Country. Each ID is followed by a number. Please remember the ID number provided. By default, a password is provided. You need to change it (at least 8 characters) for security purposes.
- In the event of a change of out/in school/within & outside the district/state, the ID does not need to be changed, just change the relevant information on the Profile Menu – Edit My Profile.
- Collaborative Instructional Design System (CIDS) – an application system for instructional design covering various dimensions of instructional planning for teachers, administrators, and learning strategies for students, to meet the educational needs of local and global levels.
- An Integral ASIE Instructional Design Model – Instructional Design Tool (based on the principles & theory of instructional design) that provides a flow of professional & systematic instructional planning procedures.
- Professional Learning Community (PLC) – guide the implementation of Lesson Study activities, participating in various communities to share information, resources, assist teachers in the T&L process through e-forums, chat, video conferencing, and online learning.
- Components – four (4) components that have several dimensions in the Model for the instructional planning process.
- Dimension – aspects of planning found in each component of the model which are adapted from the Four-Dimensional Education Learning Framework (Center for Curriculum Redesign, 2015, 2019).
- Items – several planning items in each aspect that can be customized by the user.
- YIP – Yearly Lesson Plan which contains several weekly lesson plans.
- MIW – Multiple Integration Worksheet – is weekly planning information displayed from items selected by users in the model that indirectly generates YIPs automatically. Users may select items from it to create several DLPs for the week.
- DLP- Daily Lesson Plan – derived from selected items of MIW.
- Instructional Events – Steps of Teaching & Learning activities in DLP.
- Record – refers to a complete set of teacher lesson plans (MIW & DLPs) created.
- Shared Record – complete records submitted for sharing by other users.
- Supervisory Records – a list of teacher planning records under the supervision of an administrator.
- Links to Share Resources – the process of uploading video clips, images, and information from the internet or materials from local folders to be uploaded to CIDS for sharing.
- Links to Teaching Evidence Sources – the process of uploading materials from various sources as evidence of teaching activities carried out by teachers (examples: pictures of fieldwork, reports, student activities, etc.)
- Teaching Time – a schedule of teaching time table created by a teacher for the system, especially on setting of date and time of the Daily Lesson Plans.
- CIDS-VideoCorps – A virtual communication tool for CIDS users and guests.
- E-Forum –Student virtual interaction session with materials posted by teachers.
THE INTEGRAL ASIE INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN MODEL FEATURES
- The 4DEdu elements are adapted into the integral ASIE ID Model as an integrated pedagogical planning items that guide teachers to design their instructional flows (creation of lesson plans) professionally & systematically.
- It is exhibited in the following displays:
CIDS Main Menu
First (1st) Component – ANALYZE
Dimension 1 – Integrating-knowledge
- 21st Century Themes
- other necessary pedagogical planning items such as Main topic, Subtopic, Learning objective etc. (customizable)
- learners’ readiness
- type of media
- or other required items
REMARK: Teachers may select content in the items that are relevant to their lesson planning. They may customize the item – fill in or copy/paste the content or add new items.
Second Component – STRATEGIZE
Dimension 2 – Developing – Skills
- critical thinking
- or other pedagogical planning items such as method, technique, approach etc. (customizable)
Dimension 3 – Building – Character
Dimension 4 – Instilling – Meta – Learning
- growth mindset
Items selected will automatically be inserted in the Multiple Integration Worksheet (MIW) for the creation of Daily Lesson Plans (DLPs)
Multiple Integration Worksheet (MIW)
The Evaluation of Instructional plans are available in 3 ways:
- Lesson Study –Lesson study is a form of classroom inquiry in which several teachers collaboratively plan, teach, observe, revise and share the results of a single class lesson.
- Daily/weekly monitoring/verifying lessons plans – for all administrative levels.
- Evaluation of Teachers’ Competency (ETC) –General evaluation of teachers instructional planning and classroom practices for improving and sustaining the standard quality.
ENHANCING INSTRUCTIONAL ACTIVITIES
There are optional features available in enhancing the teaching and learning activities to create an informative, interesting, and inspiring teaching & learning environment.
(a) Insert external resources in to the lesson plan (images, video clip) & display/link to the resources
(b) Integrating & Displaying of resources in the lesson plan
OTHER FUNCTIONS & FEATURES
(a) Co-Curricular – General report of the co-curricular activities
(b) The Implementation of Lesson Study Activities with common/general checklist of teaching reviews
– Provides a simple e-forum platform for teacher-student interaction
– Flipped learning – the creation of self-accessed materials based on the customized “Moodle” application
– CIDS – VideoCorps – virtual communication for small group discussion
- e-learning program for home-based activity.
- students may register themselves or registered by teachers
- teachers may post learning content (video clips/images/links) on the forum
- students may response/discuss
- chatting feature is available
(b) Digital Flipped Learning
- creation of learning topic for flipped learning program based on customized “Moodle” application.
- learners’ (student) may participate using ID created by teachers or by themselves.
(c) Communication – CIDS-VideoCorps
Virtual interaction – CIDS-VideoCorps
- small group discussion
- shared notes
- screen sharing
- dual webcams
BUTTON – FUNCTIONS
Buttons are available for specific functions. Besides, information icons are placed in every item which provides information to users on the planning procedures. Examples are shown below:
(a) Create Record
(b) Record Management (1)
(c) Record Management (2)